Wednesday, November 9, 2011

- From Europe, With Love -

I'm in Europe, currently. Guess who isn't?
If you guessed Devon, you'd be correct.

I decided to request all the government files that existed on Devon, or, rather, the only name I ever got out of her: Gabriella Moreno.

I learned a lot, the first part being that her last name isn't Moreno, at least, not anymore. Devon legally changed her last name to 'Gilman'. Her records, criminal and otherwise, are... suspiciously clean, other than a few charges of loitering and trespassing. Enough to make me order a deeper search for any records. Nothing has turned up so far.

The first thing that I noticed of some interest is that she owes a lot of money to some shady sources - loan shark types - to the tune of over one hundred thousand dollars. I can't find what this money was used for, but I'll see about getting some information from her lenders. If they find out that Devon is off the island, she could be in a lot of trouble. All the more reason to bring her in.

The other files brought in contained an old case file - kidnapping - handled by the FBI. Gabriella 'Devon' Moreno, age ten, was suspected as being kidnapped by an 'unidentified suspect, assumed male, height of over six feet, no further information'. This same kidnapper is also accused of the murder of one Eva Moreno and a second male, a Vittore Trevisano. Eva Moreno is Devon's mother.
A second section of the file contains a few reports of potential domestic violence, and a social worker case file of a member of CPS looking into Eva Moreno, under suspicion of child abuse. The case was closed when Eva was killed and her daughter disappeared.

Devon's records pick up again three years later, when she simply seems to pop back up on the radar at age thirteen. A year later, she has her last name legally changed, and from there the record is generally mundane, excepting the loitering, trespassing, and the loans.

I can put the pieces together from here, knowing Devon. Her mother was a... well. She was a whore. And she physically abused Devon, went through a lot of 'boyfriends', and was generally unstable. This explains Devon's hatred of "ho's", and... well, a lot, really. The kidnapping is... strange. Very, very strange. Whomever the man was, he's suspected of murdering Devon's mother and kidnapping her as well... but despite how these sort of cases turn out, Devon appears again, three years later, as if nothing had happened. No police reports, nothing, just a trail that goes suspiciously cold. Devon talked a bit about her past, and it seemed to be a less than straight-laced one, to say in the least... but there's nothing here to indicate that it ever happened. I'm not calling my sister a liar, no. I'm saying that something is up, and in more ways than one.

Devon has escaped the island, and in that time frame has found her way from Africa to Europe, evaded capture, left NO paper trail, and has caused me to empty at least two bottles of whiskey trying to drown out the headache this whole thing has been. This leads me to assume that Devon has access to transportation, FAST transportation, and possibly private transportation, as well as money. She's acquiring... things. Each picture I've recieved, she's been wearing different clothes, and she 'acquired' a watch, and something tells me that she didn't just steal it.

Devon has connections, at best, and at worst, she has friends in very high places. Connections I can deal with, but friends with power make things very hard. It also makes things much more dangerous for my operatives that are looking for her.

So, I'm taking this little goose chase underground. No more active, high-visibility hunting. We're gonna work quiet-like, probe around, try to piece together more of Devon's history, and hopefully we can find who is helping her. Devon thinks she can play hide and seek, and I'll admit, she's better at it than I am, but I have the resources of my position to back me up, now. I'll get some experts out into the world to hunt around her hometown of [REDACTED], look for those less-obvious connections... and maybe I'll find the characters known as 'D' and 'T', the two that Devon herself said had a large influence on her life.

--

One other update, the prototype has been delivered to the island, and received as well. It's out of my hands, now. I'll have to hope that Jara and whomever she can round up can do what needs to be done to catch Sil... then, well, hopefully I can bring Silcatra the closure she needs.

--

More to come. I'm heading back to the States tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment